Raifa Monastery



Raifa Monastery is situated 27 km to the West of Kazan. The monastry was founded in 1613. The site is adjacent to a lake. The area is now a protected nature reserve. In 1928 the Bolsheviks plundered the monastery. At this time they destroyed the monastery cementery. In 1991 the bones of the deceased were re-buried in a common grave and the area marked with a memorial cross and flower garden. The Bolsheviks also used the site for a prison for juvenile delinquents. Work on restoring the monastery began in the early 1990s. Today the buildings have been fully restored though some internal work remains to be done.

Trinity Cathedral (slide 2) was built in 1904-10.

The monastery now houses an orphanage for boys where they receive a secular education and support once they leave the monastery.

The monastery also hosts an excellant quartet, ‘Pritcha’, (‘parable’), who sing Russian Orthodox hymns and folk songs. They have toured abroad, including to England in 2008, where they performed in Salisbury Cathedral.

Source: http://www.raifa.ru/english/